Skilled Nursing Unit
Feeling better, but need a little more recovery time?
Saint John Hospital can help you reach your optimum level of recovery before you return home and resume your previous lifestyle.
Our Swing Bed program provides nursing and rehabilitation services for patients who no longer require acute care in the hospital but are not quite ready for discharge to home or to other care facilities. This program provides short-term “recovery care” surrounded by caring professionals who will help you achieve more independence every day.
What exactly is a Swing Bed?
Medicare permits smaller hospitals to use beds for acute care or transitional care as needed. In other words, physicians may “swing” patients from one level of care to another in the same facility, allowing them to recuperate without needing to transfer to a different care facility – and closer to home in some cases! Medicare Part A and some commercial insurance policies will generally pay for a Swing Bed if a patient meets certain criteria.
Swing Bed Services
- 24 hour registered nurses on staff
- Personal care as needed
- Registered dietician to meet your prescribed nutritional needs
- IV therapy
- Specialized wound care
- Encouragement to maintain/achieve your highest level of functioning
- Medications and treatments consistent with your doctor’s prescribed plan
- Rehab services
- Discharge planning/social services
- 24/7 Emergency Department on site
Medicare does not require your doctor to visit you daily while you are in the Swing Bed program, however, the staff caring for you will contact your doctor at any time if necessary. Hospitalists are available to see Swing Bed patients as needed.
- Physical Therapy – Emphasis is placed on treating patients with neurological, orthopedic and/or musculoskeletal conditions, which may affect your strength and/or safety.
- Occupational Therapy – Therapists assist patients to return to their highest functional level of self-care using a variety of activities to increase physical, mental and social independence.
- Speech Therapy – With a focus on communication and swallowing skills, therapists evaluate, treat, educate and counsel patients who have impaired speech or swallowing.
- Respiratory Therapy – Skilled therapists motivate patients with respiratory conditions to follow an ordered treatment plan meant to prevent complications such as pneumonia or upper respiratory infection.
- Other Hospital Services – If needed, your doctor can order radiology, laboratory or cardiology services.
- Activities – Activities will be encouraged to increase independent function based on individual needs.
- Discharge –Once your doctor determines you are almost ready to discharge from Swing Bed Services, our social workers will assist you and your family to plan for the next level of care.